Saturday, September 25, 2010

First project



Here's a peep of what I'm working on currently. It's a 40s Hollywood Pattern. This is my first vintage skirt pattern, but the instructions look pretty straightforward. The only odd thing about them is that it looks as though the skirt and belt are sewn SEPARATELY AND THEN WORN TOGETHER - WHAT?! (I am definitely sewing them together)

The fabric is vintage and it feels a bit thin so I'm contemplating lining it. Anyone reading this have any tips? I've heard that this is pretty easy and I'm thinking it'd help save the skirt from an early death, especially since I'm turning it into more of a pencil skirt. I think the corduroy is too stiff to sit right otherwise.

Look out for another picture update tomorrow on progress and possibly you'll meet my sewing room...

3 comments:

  1. i'm no good for tips since i don't sew, but i love the shape of that skirt, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy, Thank you for the lovely comment you left on my blog! I can not wait to see some pics of your sewing room and to also follow your blog to see what else you have in store. I wish I could sew and had a sewing room!

    Brooksie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy,

    Hello! One of my blog readers emailed me about your skirt, since I have made this pattern in the past. I also decided to add the belt to the skirt as an actual waistband (and a friend of mine did the same thing when she made the pattern up). It's simple to do and is 10x better than it was designed, imho! :) I wrote a little post in which I featured the skirt here if you'd like to take a gander... http://blog.caseybrowndesigns.com/2009/08/hat-mad/

    ♥ Casey

    ReplyDelete